Student Visa


F-1 and M-1 Visas | U.S. Student Visa Attorney in Manila, Philippines

Foreign nationals who wish to come to the U.S. to study must first obtain a Student Visa. This visa requires that the foreign student is accepted by the intended U.S. educational institution and approved for the program he or she wishes to take before filing a case.

The foreign student’s course of study and type of school determine the type of student visa to be obtained:

F-1 Visa
The F-1 visa is the most common type of student visa in the United States. It is designed for those who wish to engage in academic studies in one of America’s accredited colleges or universities, private secondary schools, or approved language program.

U.S. law does not allow foreign students to attend public elementary institutions or a publicly funded adult education program. F-1 visas permit qualified students to attend a public secondary school, but limits the admission to a maximum of 12 months at the school.

M-1 Visa
The M-1 visa is issued to foreign students whose purpose in coming to the United States is to engage in a non-academic or vocational study or training in one of the country’s institutions.

When a foreign student leaves the United States for five months or more, he or she may lose the validity of his or her F-1 or M-1 visa unless the absence corresponds to activities that are related to the course of study in the U.S. Our American immigration lawyer is more than happy to help foreign students who wish to study in the United States.