IR-1 Spouses of US Citizen


Spouses of American Citizens | Attorney for IR-1 Visa at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines

A foreign national who marries a U.S. citizen becomes eligible for immigration benefits immediately after the valid marriage. The U.S. citizen can file for an IR-1 or CR-1 for the foreign spouse he or she wishes to bring to the United States, depending on how long the couple has been married when the petition is filed.

Important for U.S. immigration purposes is that there is a bona fide relationship between the couple. Especially in the Philippines where so many U.S. citizens have fallen in love with Filipinos or Filipinas, a number of marital partnerships have flourished. The U.S. government understands that genuine marriages come in many configurations, and any couple can benefit from an attorney who guides them through the spousal visa process and helps them document their relationship in a way consistent with U.S. immigration law.

Especially for couples with non-traditional marriages, the spouses must take extra care to thoroughly document their application and explain their relationship. In such cases, an American immigration lawyer can be particularly helpful in preparing a couple to apply for a spousal visa.