Adjustment of Status


Adjustment of Status from Fiancé to Spouse | Greencard after Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

The foreign intended spouse of a U.S. national, entering the United States on a fiancé visa, is required to adjust his or her status after marrying the U.S. petitioner in America.

A fiancé visa cannot be extended or renewed. Normally the couple marries in the United States within 90 days of the foreign fiance’s arrival. However, if the couple decides not to follow through with the wedding, after 90 days the non-American fiancé must depart the country. Promptly after marriage, the foreign national spouse is eligible for permanent residence and can file an application or the I-485 form at the USCIS.