Derivative Visa


Derivative Visas | U.S. Citizenship for Children of Same-Sex Spouses in Manila

An American citizen petitioning for his or her Philippine spouse may be able to petition for the foreign spouse’s children at the same time through the Derivative Visa. This visa is issued when the gay or straight couple intends to give permanent residence or U.S. citizenship to the children of the foreign spouse. A U.S. immigration lawyer can give advice on derivative visas for the children of gay or straight foreign-national spouses.

A child is defined as an unmarried person less than 21 years of age, who can either be a stepchild, legitimated, adopted, orphan, born in-wedlock, or out-of-wedlock under the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act or INA.