Application Process


Spousal Visa Application in the Philippines | Lawyer for Gay and Lesbian Couples

In order to petition a foreign national spouse to immigrate to the United States, the petitioner must be either a U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident.The procedure is different depending on how long the couple has been married and whether or not the petitioner is a resident of the Philippines. Depending on the circumstances, the application can be filed either by mail or directly at the USCIS Field Office in the U.S. Embassy – Manila.

Petitions filed by mail undergo evaluation by the National Visa Center (NVC) while petitions filed at the Embassy are sent to the Immigrant Visa Section of the Embassy for further review. The Immigrant Visa Section of the U.S. Consulate then schedules the interview with the foreign spouse and issues final approval.

Many couples find it helpful to have legal representation in the Philippines to properly navigate the government agencies.