Proving Eligibility


U.S. Immigrant Spousal Visas | Proof of Relationship between Gay and Lesbian Couples

A CR-1 or IR-1 spousal visa application requires an American in a same-sex or opposite-sex marriage to provide ample evidence of his or her marital relationship.

A marriage certificate is not enough to validate a union. Rather, evidence of the marriage over a substantial period of time, such as multiple photographs, phone records, emails and letters, proof of joint financial commitments, affirmations from friends or family, and joint travel documents are necessary proof for a spousal visa.

Same-sex couples living abroad may have limited evidence of their union, as local laws and custom can be restrictive. In such cases, an immigration attorney can be helpful to couples in preparing the requirements and thinking of ways to persuasively develop the evidence of marriage.