Who Qualifies


How to qualify for a Spousal Visa | Place of Celebration where Same-sex Marriage is Lawfully Recognized

Before the non-American spouse can be eligible to apply for a spousal visa, he or she must be legally married to his or her gay or lesbian partner in a place where same-sex marriage is lawfully recognized. The marriage is valid for U.S. immigration purposes even if the couple intends to live somewhere where gay marriage is not acknowledged.

In countries like the Philippines, where same-sex marriage is not yet recognized, Filipinos or Filipinas must marry their U.S. citizen partners in a country or state where it is legal to do so before applying for a spousal visa to the U.S.

The firm would be happy to speak with same-sex couples who have questions about their spousal visa application to the United States.