Green Card through Marriage | Becoming a Permanent Resident to the United States

When will my foreign spouse become a Permanent Resident?

The foreign-born spouse will receive his or her visa by courier or pick-up once the spousal visa is approved at the U.S. Embassy in Manila. He or she will then be eligible to travel to the United States and must make sure to do so within the validity period of the CR-1 or IR-1 spousal visa. The foreign spouse automatically becomes a Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States upon entry to the U.S. and therefore is entitled to the rights, privileges, and obligations of a green card holder, including eligibility for employment.

When will my foreign spouse receive a green card?

The green card, which serves as proof of lawful permanent residency, will be delivered to the foreign-born spouse through mail after his or her arrival in the United States.

For more information on Spousal Visa, please refer to one of the following topics: