Alien Employment Permit (AEP)


Alien Employment Permit (AEP)

A foreign national who intends to work in the Philippines is required by the government to secure an Alien Employment Permit through the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). This permit authorizes a foreign national to engage in gainful activities provided that there is no available domestic manpower for the particular designation.

All foreign nationals are required to have an AEP if the intention of entry in the Philippines is to engage in any gainful employment except those expressly exempted by law. Holders of other functional visas such as Special Investors Resident Visa (SIRV), Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV), Treaty Traders (9D) Visa, or Special Non-Immigrant Visa (47A2) are also subject to an AEP.

Unlike the SWP, an AEP is for longer work assignments or contracts. An AEP is initially valid for one (1) to five (5) years depending on the duration of the contract and renewable for a maximum period of (5) years. This should be filed personally or through the petitioning employer at the DOLE Regional Office having jurisdiction over the principal place of business of the petitioner. In case the foreign national is to be assigned in branch offices or subsidiaries in a different location, the application must be made at the nearest Field Office.

Alien Employment Permit Requirements:

  • Notarized letter request
  • Notarized application form
  • Photocopy of passport (bio-page, latest arrival, and authorized stay)
  • Contract of Employment
  • Photocopy of employer’s Mayor’s Permit
  • Photocopy of SEC, By-Laws, and Articles of Incorporation
  • Authorization letter if filed by a representative

For more information on Work Permits, please refer to one of the following topics: